Take one look on Facebook or Instagram and you will see that women’s fitness is evolving. Out go the hours of cardio and quick fix fad diets and in come women lifting weights with sustainable eating plans.
Strong not skinny is the desired look, and its finally fashionable to have a butt and strong thighs.
Maybe, you’ve already thought about putting some weight training into your workout.
You may have even tried a few machines or picked up a barbell when you feel confident enough to squeeze in the free weights zone. But for some, this area still seems a little daunting.
THE GOOD STUFF…
- Weight lifting is extremely efficient for fat loss – strength training burns calories during and after a workout as we create after burn (known as EPOC – Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption, in case you were wondering!)
- The more muscle you have, the more calories you burn day to day. A lean muscle mass means optimum calorie burn.
- Want MURVES? That fine balance between muscle and curves? Introduce strength training into your routine and you’ll start to see changes that you will love. You will tighten up everywhere and start to sculpt your body. Squat for a better butt!
- As we age, we start to lose bone and muscle mass and this increases risk of osteoporosis. Resistance training is an awesome way to combat this!
- Need to go let off steam? Go lift! – studies indicate that weightlifting improves mood and memory as well as cognitive functions. It’s the ultimate buzz!
Many women still think that they should avoid weight training because they are afraid of getting “big”. This is a common misconception but it’s so far from the truth.
Most women develop toned muscle definition and strength without the size through a great weight training programme. It takes time to find a lifting regime that works for you, but you’ll certainly reap the benefits. Because pounding the treadmill for half an hour is so last season!
Speak to our Personal Training team for tips on planning a lifting programme that works for you.